Information on recognition and equivalence of higher education degrees
Applicants interested in studying at the Faculty of European Studies and Regional Development must submit recognized academic documents to the following address:
Dekanát FEŠRR ,
SPU v Nitre,
949 76 Nitra
Procedure for obtaining the required academic recognition of diplomas issued by foreign primary and secondary schools is as follows:
- District Authorities of Nitra decide on recognition of equivalence of foreign diplomas in accordance with Act no. 276/2017 Coll. amending and supplementing Act no. 422/2015 Coll. on recognition of education and professional qualifications and on amendment of certain laws that amend and supplement certain laws.
- Application for recognition of a diploma should be sent to the following address:
Okresný úrad Nitra,
Štefánikova trieda 69,
949 01 Nitra.
The application must include:
- name and surname of the applicant,
- permanent or residential address
- subject of the application
- name and address of the secondary school that issued the diploma
- year of graduation
- applicant´s signature
- copy of the identification document,
- certified copy of the diploma (proof of graduation) translated to English (translation must be certified); if the document is apostilled, the apostille must be translated as well. Certified translation into the Slovak language shall be provided upon receipt of the paper version of the document.
- list of completed courses and exams, all translated to English (certified translation); if the document is apostilled, the apostille must be translated as well. Certified translation into the Slovak language shall be provided upon receipt of the paper version of the document.
- in case of vocational secondary education or complete secondary education, a confirmation issued by the secondary school about the scope of practical education is needed
- proof of payment of an administrative fee of 30 EUR in the form of a revenue stamp (“kolok”), bought at the Slovak post office.
Authenticity of the stamps and signatures of the school (legalization/ superlegalization) must be verified (on the document on completed education) by the authority of the state of origin responsible for such verification (unless an international treaty states otherwise).
- Apostillation of the proof of qualification is required from the holders of diplomas issued in countries that are contracting parties to the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents from the 5th October 1961 (e.g. qualifications issued in the USA, Australia, etc.). List of countries of the Hague Convention is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Slovak Republic: https://www.mzv.sk/cestovanie_a_konzularne_info/overovanie_dokladov-doklad_vydany_v_cudzine_na_pouzitie_v_sr , or on the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law: https://www.hcch.net/en/instruments/specialised-sections/apostille
(see Updated list of Contracting Parties).
- Verification of the document by apostillation is carried out by adding an apostille to the document (special stamp or by attaching a separate letter) in the shape of a square where each side is at least 9 cm long (e.g. certificate, certificate of graduation, certificate of the final examination). It must also contain the word “Apostille” (Convention de la Haye du 5 octobre 1961)“.
Consequently, such certificate must include the mention of e.g. the state where the document was issued before it was signed and who verified its authenticity.
- Apostillation of the public documents is not required for countries that have a bilateral agreement with the Slovak Republic on legal aid (e.g.: Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Romania).
- Superlegalization (higher authentication of documents) is carried out by the competent national authority, such as ministry or notary in the respective country (where the education was received) and the office representing the Slovak Republic (embassy) in the said state, unless an international agreement states otherwise (e.g. qualifications issued in Canada are a subject to the process of authentication).
- If the conditions for the recognition of the diploma are met, the District Authority will issue a decision on the recognition.
- Only the documents of the completed education can be recognized.
- Legislation regulating the procedure for recognition of the equivalence of the documents:
- The procedure for the academic recognition of diplomas issued by foreign primary and secondary schools are regulated by Act No. 276/2017, which amended Act No. 422/2015 Coll.
- Notice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Slovak Republic on the adoption of the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents (Communication no. 213/2002 Coll.)
- Notice of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Slovak Republic on the statement of the Complete updated list of the contracting parties under the article 6 of the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents (Communication no. 129/2006 Coll.)
- Act no. 145/1995 Coll. on administrative fees as amended, Annex to the law of the National Council of the Slovak Republic no. 145/1995 Coll. Tariff scale of administration fees, Part I. General report, item 2 letter f) recognition for purposes other than performance of regulated professions and regulated professional activities in the Slovak Republic: 30 EUR.
- Contact person at the District Office in Nitra:
tel.: 037/ 6969323